Monday 10 June 2013

The Hunger Games-hunger

So, I finally finished the third volume of the Hunger Games series.

At first I was not convinced that it was any good. I couldn't be bothered with yet another series swallowing my life whole and not letting me get on with anything else before I have completed the entire series. This is what happened with Harry Potter, the Thursday Next series, Twilight. I get so caught up and I stay up all night just pushing through. On top of that I am a really slow reader, so it takes me forever sometimes to get anywhere with a book. Even so, it is the worst when you have to wait for the next book in a series to be published. J.K. Rowling sure took her time finishing off the whole Potter-deal. Luckily, when I succumbed to the Twilight Saga all the books had been released and I bought the box-set. Good thing, too, because I finished all four books in 4 days.

Anyway, I started the Hunger Games, not knowing what to expect. But I was hooked! It was so exciting and riveting, compelling and un-put-downable. I love the complex character of Katniss Everdeen. She is a very different antagonist who has more bad and undesirable attributes than good ones, which is really refreshing. There is such a feeling of girl-power that I can't help getting carried away. (I was a teenager of the late 90's - girl-power is real to me ;)).

It's been ages since I started reading the first. I think I didn't start until the movie was announced. Usually I prefer to read the book upon which a given movie is based. It gives a much more detailed understanding of the plot and the characters. So many things are cut out from the story when it is remade for the screen. I know they have to, and some things must be altered to be more camera-friendly, but often it compromises the story. Anyway, it was a great book! The movie was alright, but nowhere near as good at the book. So I was kind of disappointed about the movie. They could have done more..

Then I had to read the second one, of course. I hadn't bought the 2nd and 3rd book, because I was sure I would hate the first. So off to the store, and get on with it! The second book was brilliant. Even better than the first. You get to know the characters even better, the story gets much more complicated. the plot thickens.. However, there were so many new, weird names to keep track of. Never mind, though!
Right now I am so excited about the 2nd book - my favorite of the series! And! It is a real plus that it premieres on my birthday :) :) The first teaser trailer is out, and I am so excited about it. Have you seen it?




I just finished reading the third book. It was so dull to begin with. I put it away for months - I could not be bothered with it! Then I forced myself to finish it, so I could put it away. It didn't take me 10 pages to get fully consumed by the turn of events and I had to spend all night last night finishing it. It was actually a great book. I am one of those people who can cry over books. So naturally, with all the deaths and heartbreak I was bawling my eyes out.I love being to engrossed in a story that even written words can affect you so much you tear up. That also meant I could not put the book down or even think about going to sleep.

Now I have finished the trilogy. Just have to wait for the movies - which will be ages before they are done.. I will have to re-read the Catching Fire before I see the movie, just so the story is fresh in my memory.

Do you have a hunger for the Hunger Games?

No comments:

Post a Comment