Sunday 9 June 2013

First piece of clothing: Done!

I have done it! I have actually made myself a piece of clothing. I am so proud!

The maxi dress trend tends to come back every summer, and I have always wanted to be able to wear one. Being a plus-plus size girl, it can be very difficult finding something - anything, really - that doesn't make you look like a whale caught in a circus tent.

So I thought... Hey, I've got loads of fabric and I know how to work that sewing machine. I'll just make one!   Just as I had the thought it occurred to me that my imagination is making me promises my sewing skills can't keep. But what the freak, I'll give it a go!

All I had to do was to copy the "pattern" of one of my favorite tank tops - of course factoring in seam allowance and various body parts that bulk out a bit -  and then decide how wide the dress should be at the bottom. I love swirly dresses, so of course I wanted to be as wide as the fabric I had would allow. It didn't turn out quite as swirly as the little girl version of me wanted, but it turned out just perfect for the adult version. Who needs to twirl and swirl anyway... Who am I kidding - I'll add extra fabric later to make it more swirly!!

This being my first piece of clothing and all, I am very happy with it! Sure, there are little errors and things I want to change, but no one notices those things except me. So why bother, right?!

What do you think??



I can wear it with or without the belt. With the belt makes it a bit more dressy. Having no belt makes it much more comfortable, for one, but also makes it more casual-slip-on-wear-to-the-beach-ish.

Hopefully I will get loads of opportunities to wear this dress over the summer. Until now the weather has been lovely, so here's to hoping it will continue.

Do you want to make one too?? I can give you a few tips :)

Thanks! Have a great sunday evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment