Thursday 20 June 2013

Shepard Fairey posters generously donated!

One of our very good friends, Rasmus, is a big Shepard Fairey-fan.

The only thing I knew of Mr. Fairey was his cool election posters for Barrack Obama - there were a few different ones.

Rasmus wanted to sell some of his posters, and found that he has duplicates. So he offered them to us for free. He had his other posters valued by an auctioneer house in Denmark and the estimated value was about £150 per poster. And now we have two!

Shepard Fairey

I absolutely love this! I don't really know what else to say about it. The look on her face is so sad, but strong somehow. She is ready to fight for her Black Hills. Put this in a black frame with a passe-partout, and it will be perfect! It is going to provide just the right colour splash on our white walls in our new flat.


I am not quite sure yet how I feel about this one. The first thing I see - obviously - is the machine gun and it makes me think of Russia. Why that is I can't tell you. But the poster has a perfect message. It is so provocative to me, but it is so true. I am glad, though, that I don't get many Americans in my home so they'll challenge me as to why I need to promote this message. I don't know why it gets me, but it just does. Wow, I am really good at analyzing pictures, their meaning and message. My Danish teacher would be so proud of me :)! Also, the poster has classic Fairey symbols as the "obey" text and the white dove - with a target for the machine gun to hit. Go America!

I'll hang the two posters in our new flat once we've moved and I'll see if the machine gun grows on me. The Black Hills I will love to bits, no doubt. And you do need a pair, don't you!


No comments:

Post a Comment